Friday, 7 April 2017

Puzzle Solving Skills Progression: Rubik's Cube

I finally learned to solve a Rubik's Cube!

I feel that Rubik's Cube have come back, and they are becoming popular once again. Lots of my friends started playing with Rubik's Cubes, so I decided to spend some of my spring break learning how to solve one.

I started on Sunday, April 2nd. Without any idea what to do, I decided to go on YouTube to watch some videos on how to solve one. I watched 1 video, and I learned how to solve the first layer. Then I watched about 6 more to get my second layer. When I finally learned that part, I started on the last layer. It was pretty nerve-racking because I didn't want to mess up what I already have done. But... I messed up around 4 times and I gave up for a day.

A day later, I decided to try again, and I solved it on my second try! I slowly memorized all of the algorithms and got faster and faster at solving the cube. I was honestly very surprised with myself that I learned everything in 3 days (from the 2nd to the 4th).

I feel that Rubik's Cubes can be beneficial in many different ways. For one, it can improve people's geometric sense, considering it is a cube. It also improves your puzzle solving skills (a Rubik's Cube is a puzzle) and memorization skills (algorithms) as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment